The government has agreed to reopen international tourism from March 15 after 2 years of border restriction due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. A detailed reopening plan is expected to be released by the relevant government authorities soon.
International tourists to Vietnam are not required for tour package registration under the pilot period, only show the COVID-19 vaccination certificate or recovery certificate, a negative PCR test result for SARS-COV-2. Children over 12 years old are required to receive 2 rounds of vaccination
Regarding the issuance of visas, formerly, Vietnam has granted unilateral visa exemption for citizens of 24 countries and bilateral visa exemption for specific citizens of 80 countries and territories. However, the Government decided to stop this visa exemption since the outbreak of COVID-19 in 2020. The application for entry visas for international visitors, including electronic visa issuance, unilateral and bilateral visa exemption is proposed to be resumed as usual from 15 March 2022.
As of the Decision no.450/VPCP-QHQT dated January 18th 2022, the foreigners and overseas Vietnamese with permanent resident cards, visas or visa exemption certificates can enter Vietnam. For furthermore details, please see https://xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en/tin-tuc/new-policies-ease-entry-procedures-foreigners-overseas-vietnamese-and-their-family-members.
Required documents for all air foreigners aged 2 and above arriving in Vietnam:
- Valid visas/ visa exemption certificate/ permanent residence cards/ an approval letter from Immigration Department to enter Vietnam. APEC card/ tourist visa is not included.
- Certificate of full vaccination (last dose must be taken at least 14 days and no more than 12 months prior to entry time) or certificate of recovery from Covid-19 in past 6 months.
- Negative Real-time PCR SARS-CoV-2 test result taken within 72 hours prior to arrival, except for children under 2 years old.
- Health declaration online prior to entry via https://tokhaiyte.vn;
- Register of an individual QR code through PC-Covid app /or/ https://antoan-covid.tphcm.gov.vn
Quarantine measures on arrival:
- The foreign travelers are required to undergo a rapid antigen test at own cost and wait for the result at the airport. In case the test result is positive, you will be taken to a centralized quarantine facility for a confirmatory PCR test. You spend several days in the centralized quarantine facility on the second positive test result.
- The foreign travelers, who have been fully vaccinated, provide the vaccine certificate after entry and must self-isolate for three days, have a test on day 3.
- The foreign travelers, who have not been fully vaccinated, must self-isolate for 7 days, have tests on the third and seventh days.
They entering Vietnam need to pay for all testing and quarantine costs.
The travelers to Vietnam by joining tour groups under Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism’s pilot inbound tourism program with some destinations such as Phu Quoc, Ho Chi Minh City, Nha Trang, Binh Dinh, Quang Nam, Quang Ninh.
All travelers transiting in Vietnam is not currently allowed.
Land borders with China, Cambodia and Laos are currently closed except for the import and export of goods and returning Vietnamese nationals.